Friday 5 February 2010

Character Design





I've been doing a lot of research into how the Roman Legionnaires and Centurions dress and have been thinking of ways to fit it all in without over complicating the characters and whilst keeping a dominant Silhouette.
I did a mock up of a Roman Legionnaire and was trying to design a brutish looking character, upside down Triangular body, small legs etc - I looked at characters such as johnny Bravo and Taz whilst keeping in mind TF2.


Feedback

Only the programmers and Dan actually gave me feedback which is disappointing but one of the issues brought up was to do with the size of the legs, and how that would/could make animating a walk cycle harder. I think the programmers want a realistic feel which I personally completely disagree on, I don't really know where everyone else apart from Dan stands on that issue. But I will bring out the legs and see what happens. Also another issue raised was to do with the waist, possibly to low down and didn't quite look right, the more I look at it the more I see what they mean.
The positive feedback was that they liked the body shape, the helmet over the eyes and style.

I also finished a mock up of a Centurion but haven't had much feedback on it.
I was aiming for a tall, lanky feel to the character, the guy who controls the small brutish Legionnaires. I asked a friend of mine who is also on the course (Henry Hoffman) And he suggested bringing up the hips and maybe arching the back a little. Have has arms slightly dangle down and bigger hands. Based on that feedback I'll edit him and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment